Returning to Mass- Phase I
As we gradually “open” our church for the celebration of the Mass beginning May 19, it is important to follow some directives for the good health and well being of all people. Please realize Mass will not be the same as two months ago. Your patience and cooperation with the new procedures will be very much appreciated, especially for our first few weekends. These procedures will be adapted as necessary as we move forward.
- All the faithful in the Archdiocese of Detroit are dispensed from their Sunday obligation to attend Mass through Sunday, September 6.
- Those older than 65 years old, with a compromised health condition, or caring for the sick are encouraged to stay home. Anyone who is ill, has a temperature, cough, etc., should definitely stay home as an act of justice to the whole community.
- Those unable to attend Sunday Mass, for whatever reason, may take another opportunity to celebrate the Eucharist at a weekday Mass.
- Our limit inside church for each Mass is 150 people. Please email the parish office firstname.lastname@example.org or call 313-884-5554 before Friday at 4 pm to make your “reservation” for your weekend Mass time.
- Please bring your own hand sanitizer to use prior to and after receiving Holy Communion.
New Procedures in Mass Participation
- Cloth face coverings (masks) must be worn at all times by everyone over the age of two. If you do not have a mask, and do not have access to getting one, please call or email the office. We have a few cloth ones available for you to have.
- Any socializing must be done outside given our small gathering space. Please remember social distancing practices.
- A physical distance of 6’ must be observed between individuals or family groups.
- Please enter church through the main entrance (canopy) doors.
- To provide safe distancing during Mass, you may be ushered to a seat. So, you will likely not be able to sit in your “usual spot” for Mass!
- All books have been removed from the pews. You may bring your own prayer book to assist in your participation during Mass.
- Offertory collection boxes will be provided for the collection. Baskets will not be passed during Mass.
- Those who feel comfortable to do so may approach to receive Holy Communion. You will be directed, by pew, while keeping 6 feet between each person in line. Please sanitize your hands prior to Communion. After responding “Amen” and receiving the Host, pull down your mask to consume the Host. Then reposition your mask over your mouth before returning to your seat. Detailed instructions will be provided at Mass about this new procedure.
- At the conclusion of Mass, to avoid a crowd leaving church, you will be dismissed by pew for you to go directly outside to your car.